1 The child's own genetics.
2. The parent's genetics.
3. The decay-causing bacteria's genetics.
4. Transmission of decay-causing bacteria from parents to child.
5. Age of the child when transmission occurs.
6. Immune system activity in the gums around the teeth.
7. Diet - type of nutrition and timing of ingestion.
8. Biofilm and bacterial ecology in the mouth.
9. Relative susceptibility of front and back teeth.
10. Professional preventive measures.
11. Home care preventive measures.
12. Early detection of decay.